Registrars documents

Religious marriage

There are different rules for getting married in a Church of England or other religious building

Religious marriage in England and Wales is divided into two types with different rules attached to each. These are:

  • Church of England marriages
  • all other religious marriages.

Please contact the Register Office by emailing if you need to book an appointment to give notice for a religious marriage, as the requirements can be complex.

Church of England marriages

You should contact the vicar of the parish where you wish to be married. If they are able to marry you, they will arrange for Banns to be called on three Sundays before the day of your ceremony, or for a common licence to be issued.

However if either you or your partner is not a British or EEA national you will be required to give notice at a designated register office (such as Islington) even if you are having a Church of England marriage.

All other religious marriages

If you are planning a religious marriage you should first seek the permission of the Minister or governing body before you make any other arrangements.

The religious building must be licensed for both worship and marriage.

You will need to give a notice of marriage at your local register office if you are both British or EEA Nationals or a designated register office if you are not.

Some religious buildings require the attendance of a registrar at a wedding, whereas others have their own Authorised Person who will register your marriage.

If you need a registrar to attend your ceremony you should book this with us by emailing as far in advance as possible.

Who can get married in a religious building?

The law requires that you must have a connection to the religious building where you would like to marry. It must be either:

  • situated in the district/local borough where one or both of you live
  • the nearest religious building of your religious denomination (e.g. for Christian this could be Anglican), if there is not one within the district where either of you live
  • the usual place of worship for one or both of you. 

If you are giving notice at Islington Register Office please bring with you the name and address of the Church Incumbent or Authorised Person for the religious building. This is where we will send the paperwork for your marriage.

We suggest you check that the paperwork has been received no later than a week before your ceremony.

Was this information helpful?
  1. Please select

  2. Data protection: We will handle your personal information in line with the Data Protection Act 1998 and in accordance with the council’s Fair Processing Notice.