Skip to content
Marriage and civil partnerships

Corrections to a marriage certificate

If you notice incorrect information on your marriage certificate, you may be able to correct it by following this process.

1. Download the appropriate form and guidance notes.

2. Complete the application form and gather your supporting evidence. Email to make an appointment to bring the documents to Islington Town Hall.

Please note: we can only accept applications for marriages that occurred in the borough of Islington or the City of London (this refers to the area in London known as the Square Mile and not London as an entire city, please view a map to check). If the marriage occurred elsewhere, you will need to make an application to the local register office.

3. We will check if the mistake is only on the marriage certificate. If the details in the register are correct, and the mistake was made when copying the details from the register onto the certificate, you can get a new correct copy of the certificate.

4. If a correction to the entry needs to be made, we will copy your supporting evidence and ask you to pay a fee of £99.00. This fee is set by central government and is for consideration of the correction application. It does not guarantee the application will be successful.

It may take between one week and two months for the application to be decided on, depending on the complexity of the case and the quality of the evidence provided.

5. Once a decision has been made, the register office will call you to make an appointment to complete the correction and you will then be able to purchase corrected certificates.

The original information will always be shown in the register. After the correction has been authorised, a note will be added to the margin of the register. This will explain what the correct information is and when the correction was made.

Please visit the General Register Office website for more details about corrections.

Was this information helpful?

Data protection: We will handle your personal information in line with the Data Protection Act 1998 and in accordance with the council’s Fair Processing Notice.