We can provide copies of certificates dating back to 1945 for the Islington and City of London area (Islington Council Registrars also cover registrations for the City of London Corporation, which is the square mile at the heart of the financial centre in the city. See a map of the area). We may be able to go as far back as 1837, but not all certificates will be available due to damage to our records during the Second World War.
What information do I need to provide?
To help us find your record please provide us with:
- First name and surname (if it relates to a marriage or civil partnership, please include both partners and any maiden names)
- Date of the birth/death/marriage/civil partnership
- Where it took place (if it relates to a church, please provide exact church name and location)
Please note. Reference numbers provided by online genealogical sites (e.g. ancestry.co.uk) do not match our records. They may relate to those kept by the General Register Office.
How much it costs
- £11.00 per copy for standard production (produced within 10 working days)
- £35.00 per copy for express certificate production (produced the next working day, only available when ordering in person at Islington Town Hall)
How to order a certificate
At Islington Register Office using cash or credit / debit card.
Download, print and complete the appropriate form below. Enclose a postal order for the correct fee made payable to London Borough of Islington. We are unable to accept payments by cheque.
How long it takes
We aim to send out certificates within two working days of receiving the application, provided we are given full and correct information and the relevant fee. We use ‘signed for’ delivery for all certificates.
However please allow up to 10 working days for it to reach you once we have received your order. This takes into account timings for posting.
Please do not contact us to ask when your certificate will be delivered before 10 working days has passed, as this could delay your application.