Please do not apply for copies of certificates before the event has been registered.
Due to changes in marriage legislation, it may take longer than usual for records of religious ceremonies to be deposited at the Register Office, and for certificates to be available for purchase.
We can provide copies of certificates dating back to 1945 for the Islington and City of London area (Islington Council Registrars also cover registrations for the City of London Corporation, which is the square mile at the heart of the financial centre in the city. See a map of the area). We may be able to go as far back as 1837, but not all certificates will be available due to damage to our records during the Second World War.
Information to provide
To help us find your record please provide us with:
- First name and surname (if it relates to a marriage or civil partnership, please include both partners and any maiden names)
- Date of the birth/death/marriage/civil partnership
- Where it took place (if it relates to a church, please provide exact church name and location)
Please note, reference numbers provided by online genealogical sites (e.g. ancestry.co.uk) do not match our records. They may relate to those kept by those kept by the General Register Office.
How much it costs
It costs £11 per certificate. You can choose from two postage options:
- £1 for standard second class delivery. Once an item has been posted by the Register Office responsibility for safe delivery passes to the Post Office. In the event than an item is 'lost in the post' all replacement certificates must be paid for by the applicant. Reimbursement for lost items may be sought from your local Post Office™, or by calling your customer service centre on 08457 740740. If you are deaf or hard of hearing, contact the Post Office on 08456 000 606 (text phone).
- £6.85 for special delivery. Items can be tracked and traced, and will need to be signed for on delivery.
Please note that certificate processing times remain the same whichever post option you choose. Special delivery is not an express certificate production service.
How to order a certificate
We aim to send out certificates within 20 working days of receiving the application, as long as you have provided us with full and correct information, and the relevant fee.
Under normal circumstances, please allow up to 24 working days for it to reach you once we have received your order, taking into account timings for postage. However, please note that Royal Mail have planned industrial action for several dates during November and December 2022, which is likely to cause postal delays, which are out of our control.
Please do not contact us to ask when your certificate will be delivered before 20 working days has passed, as this could delay your application.
If you need your historical certificates urgently you can apply to the General Register Office.
Order by post
Download, print and complete the form in the 'Useful documents' section. Include a postal order for the correct fee made payable to the London Borough of Islington. We cannot accept payments by cheque.
Order certificates using the online application form.