Islington and City of London Register Office can produce certificates for births, deaths, marriages and civil partnerships.
We can provide copies of certificates dating back to 1945 for the Islington and City of London area. Islington Council Registrars also cover registrations for the City of London Corporation, which is the square mile at the heart of the financial centre in the city. See a map of the area. We may be able to go as far back as 1837, but not all certificates will be available due to damage to our records during the Second World War.
Order a certificate urgently
An urgent certificate costs £35 and you must order in person.
- You must order urgent certificates at Islington Town Hall before 12pm for collection the next working day from 3pm.
- If you order after 12pm, the certificate will be ready for collection in two working days' time from 3pm.
Please be aware that our office closes at 4.30pm.
Order a certificate for delivery
Each certificate costs £11 and you must pay for postage. There are two postage options:
- £1.10 for standard first class delivery
- £6.85 for special delivery. Items can be tracked and will need to be signed for on delivery but this does not mean your certificate will arrive faster.
We try to send out certificates within 20 working days of your order. This will take longer if you have not provided full and correct information and the relevant fee.
Please allow more time for Royal Mail to deliver your certificate.
Order by post
Download, print and complete the form in the 'Useful documents' section. Include a postal order for the correct fee made payable to the London Borough of Islington. We cannot accept payments by cheque.
Information to provide
To help us find your record please provide us with:
- First name and surname (if it relates to a marriage or civil partnership, please include both partners and any maiden names)
- Date of the birth/death/marriage/civil partnership
- Where it took place (if it relates to a church, please provide exact church name and location)
Please note, reference numbers provided by online genealogical sites (e.g. ancestry.co.uk) do not match our records. They may relate to those kept by those kept by the General Register Office.