Please do not apply for copies of certificates before the event has been registered.
Due to changes in marriage legislation, it may take longer than usual for records of religious ceremonies to be deposited at the Register Office, and for certificates to be available for purchase.
We can provide copies of certificates dating back to 1945 for the Islington and City of London area (Islington Council Registrars also cover registrations for the City of London Corporation, which is the square mile at the heart of the financial centre in the city. See a map of the area). We may be able to go as far back as 1837, but not all certificates will be available due to damage to our records during the Second World War.
What information do I need to provide?
To help us find your record please provide us with:
- First name and surname (if it relates to a marriage or civil partnership, please include both partners and any maiden names)
- Date of the birth/death/marriage/civil partnership
- Where it took place (if it relates to a church, please provide exact church name and location)
Please note. Reference numbers provided by online genealogical sites (e.g. ancestry.co.uk) do not match our records. They may relate to those kept by the General Register Office.
How much it costs
£11.00 per certificate
You can choose from two postage options:
- £1.00 standard second class delivery. Once an item has been posted by the Register Office responsibility for safe delivery passes to the Post Office. In the event than an item is 'lost in the post' all replacement certificates must be paid for by the applicant. Reimbursement for lost items may be sought from your local Post Office™, or by calling your customer service centre on 08457 740740. If you are deaf or hard of hearing, contact the Post Office on 08456 000606 (Textphone).
- £6.85 Special delivery. Items can be tracked and traced, and will need to be signed for on delivery.
Please note that certificate processing times remain the same whichever post option you choose. Special delivery is not an express certificate production service.
How to order a certificate
In response to the government’s advice on social distancing to help manage the spread of Coronavirus, Islington Register Office is closed, apart from for pre-booked registration appointments. This means we cannot take any certificate applications in person, but you can continue to order copies of certificates online and they will be posted to you.
Download, print and complete the appropriate form below. Enclose a postal order for the correct fee made payable to London Borough of Islington. We are unable to accept payments by cheque.
How long it takes
We aim to send out certificates within 25 working days of receiving the application, provided we are given full and correct information and the relevant fee.
However please allow up to 28 working days for it to reach you once we have received your order. This takes into account timings for posting.
Please do not contact us to ask when your certificate will be delivered before 28 working days has passed, as this could delay your application.
If you need your historical certificates urgently you can apply to the General Register Office.