Ballot box icon

Who can vote?

Find out if you're eligible to vote in Islington.

Eligibility criteria

To be able to vote in Islington, you need to meet certain criteria.

  • You need to be 18 years of age, although you can register from 16
  • You need to normally reside at an address in Islington
  • You need to be a British, Irish, Commonwealth or European Union (EU) citizen

EU citizens can vote at local elections and European Parliamentary Elections only. They cannot vote at UK Parliamentary Elections.

If you are a foreign national and wish to check whether you are eligible to register to vote, you can download the document of eligible nationalities at the bottom of this page under 'Useful documents'.


Students may register at both their home address and their college or university address. It is not an offence to register twice, but it is an offence to vote more than once in the same election.

Special category electors

Special arrangements apply to the following categories:

British citizens living abroad can vote at UK and European Parliamentary Elections but not local government elections.

If you were registered to vote in the UK within the last 15 years, you can apply to be an overseas voter. It is important to note that you must apply to the last council with whom you were registered before moving abroad.

If you were too young to register when you left the UK, your parent or guardian must have been registered.

Service personnel and their spouse have the choice of registering annually as an ordinary voter, or by way of a service declaration. Service declarations last for three years.

Crown servants or British Council employees working outside the UK can still register to vote. The spouse of a crown servant or British Council employee accompanying them during their employment abroad can also register under these arrangements.

Homeless people may register at the address or place where they spend a substantial part of their time either during the day or at night.

Remand prisoners may register at the institution where they are currently resident or at the address they would have been resident or have previously lived.

Mental health patients, either voluntary or detained (but not those detained for criminal activity) may register at the institution where they are currently resident or at the address they would have been resident or have previously lived. 

Was this information helpful?
  1. Please select

  2. Data protection: We will handle your personal information in line with the Data Protection Act 1998 and in accordance with the council’s Fair Processing Notice.