Icon of a housing block

Property Licensing

What properties do we licence?

Islington run a property licencing scheme for all properties as below:
  • Where there are five or more unrelated persons who may share some facilities
  • All HMOs in Holloway and Caledonian Roads occupied by three or four unrelated persons that may share some facilities

By holding a property licence, you will need to comply with the ‘licensing conditions’ which will ensure the home you let out is properly managed and meets prescribed standards

Who can apply for a property licence?

A landlord, managing agent or a third party can apply. An application for a property licence from a non UK resident or company not based in the UK will only be considered valid if there is a managing agent based in the UK, who agrees to be bound by the conditions and obligations imposed by the licence by signing a declaration to confirm this.

Licensing Fees

See fees structure document here

How to apply

Before you apply have the following information to hand

Room sizes
 Details of kitchens and bathrooms
Names & Addresses of persons and organisations with interest in the property   Payment card details
Fire safety certificate (where your property has mains wired fire alarm system)   Gas safety certificate (where your property has gas)
Emergency lighting certificate (where installed)  Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)
Floor plans
 Tenancy agreement(s)

To apply for a licence, complete the online application form

If you have a particular difficulty applying online, call 020 7527 3083 or email property.licensing@islington.gov.uk

Legal action

If the landlord fails to get a licence they could face enforcement from the council which could include a financial penalty.
The landlord cannot evict the tenants of an HMO that should be licensed but is not.


To check whether your property requires a licence, please contact us:

Tel: 020 7527 3083
Email: property.licensing@islington.gov.uk

Was this information helpful?
  1. Please select

  2. Data protection: We will handle your personal information in line with the Data Protection Act 1998 and in accordance with the council’s Fair Processing Notice.