Sustainable grounds maintenance
- Designing drought tolerant planting schemes, including herbaceous perennials which need minimal watering when established.
- Reducing the amount of hard surfacing in parks and on streets so that water can drain naturally into the ground.
- Retaining soil moisture by increasing the use of mulch and by relaxing mowing regimes to create long grass areas.
- Increasing use of ground cover planting to reduce weeds and water loss and create habitats for wildlife.
- Reducing the use of pesticides.
- Increasing use of organic mulch to increase soil fertility, improve soil structure, increase soil fauna and increase water retention.
- Composting Islington's green and kitchen waste and returning it to parks as mulch.
- Protecting wildlife and biodiversity with the Parks Habitat Action Plan.
- Taintaining meadows and woodland areas.
The council's Greenspace Service has a certified ISO 14001 Environmental Management System. You can download Islington Council's Environmental Policy (PDF).
Text: 'Greenspace' + your message to 80800