Paying for care

Most people will need to pay something towards the cost of their care and support. We offer information about the cost of care, financial assessments and the financial support that is available.

Paying for your care at home

People who receive care and support at home from Islington Council may need to pay a contribution toward the cost of their care.

How to find out if you need to pay toward the cost of your care

Anyone who receives support at home or in the community from Islington's Adult Social Services will have a financial assessment. The financial assessment will work out how much, if anything, you will have to pay toward the cost of your service.

As part of the financial assessment, we will look at any benefits you receive. If we find the amount you receive is below what it should be, we will help you claim what you are entitled to.

You will need a full financial assessment to establish exactly how much you may need to contribute.

For more detailed information, please see Contributions for Care at Home or in the Community (PDF file).

Which care and support services might there be a charge for?

We calculate the amount you need to pay towards your care, based upon the total cost of the services you receive at home and in the community, including:

  • Housework and shopping

  • Personal care in the home

  • Sessional workers

  • Sleepovers

  • Respite care

  • Recreational activities

  • Live in worker

  • Transport

  • Day centres

  • Warden schemes for older people

  • Linkline or Telecare

  • Support worker or floating support

  • Supported housing

  • Supported living

  • Share Lives

More information

For more information about paying for home or community care support service, see contributions for care at home or in the community or contact the Income Team on 020 7527 3417.

For information, support and advice about managing money and debt, see our money advice pages.

Was this information helpful?
  1. Please select

  2. Data protection: We will handle your personal information in line with the Data Protection Act 1998 and in accordance with the council’s Fair Processing Notice.