The Freedom Pass for disabled people in Islington is funded by us and gives free travel on most public transport in London 24 hours a day (after 9.30am on most National Rail services within the London area), including all day at weekends and on public holidays.
It can also be used on local bus services in England under the terms of the Concessionary Bus Travel Act 2007. The Freedom Pass scheme is managed by London Councils on behalf of all London boroughs.
Who can apply
If you live in Islington and have any of these disabilities (taken from the Transport Act 2000), you can apply for the Pass:
- People who are blind or partially sighted
- People who are profoundly or severely deaf
- People without speech
- People who have a disability, or have suffered an injury, which has left them with a substantial and long-term adverse effect on their ability to walk
- People who do not have arms or have a long-term loss of the use of both arms
- People who have a learning disability that is defined as 'a state of arrested or incomplete development of mind which includes significant impairment of intelligence and social functioning'
- People who, if they applied for the grant of a licence to drive a motor vehicle under Part III of the Road Traffic Act 1988, would have their application refused pursuant to section 92 of the Act (physical fitness) otherwise than on the ground of persistent misuse of drugs or alcohol.
How to apply
You can either:
- collect an application form from our Customer Centre at 222 Upper Street
- download an application form and take it to the relevant address at the end of the form. Remember to take the original documents the form asks for, and a colour passport-sized photograph.
We will assess your application and, if you are eligible, we will arrange for the Pass to be posted to you.
Lost, stolen, damaged or faulty passes
- visit your local library for help
- call the Freedom Pass helpline on 0300 330 1433 (local call rate, Monday to Sunday, 8am to 8pm)
If you lose or damage your Freedom Pass you will be charged £10 for a replacement.