Assessing your needs

We are committed to helping all our residents with care needs, and also want to make it easier for residents to support themselves and live an independent life.

Islington has a fantastic range of services provided by charities, community organisations and by public services that are available to everyone with no assessment.

Our Community Support page will help you quickly and easily find organisations to support you, whether that’s making friends within your community, requesting help with tasks or getting out and about, or doing fun and interesting activities. Our Adults Directory will also help you find support services.

If you do need additional support that can’t be met by these services, then you have the right to an assessment from us to determine your support needs.

Having an assessment

In Islington, an assessment begins by looking at whether you could benefit from short-term support to help you stay safe, healthy and independent. This short term support can last up to six weeks and could include reablement, home care or a piece of equipment to help you with everyday tasks.

If you need more support than this, we will return to the assessment to look at what longer term care and support can be provided for you.

You can find out lots more about what an assessment is based on and what to expect from your assessment on the NHS Choices website.

If you are eligible for support from social services, we will discuss what help might be available. This will be based on the information you give us during your assessment. Even if your assessment determines you aren’t eligible for our support, there are still a huge range of services and organisations that can help you – we’ll talk this through with you after your assessment, or you can go to the Adults Directory to find out more.

Contact us for an assessment

Carer's assessments

If you are a carer, or you think you might be taking on a caring role in the near future, you may be entitled to a carer’s assessment. You need to be aged 18 or over and living in Islington.

The assessment may be offered at the same time as the person you care for has an assessment , or you may ask for it at a later date. You can find out more on our support for carers pages.

Carer's self assessment form

Mental health assessments

If you have severe or chronic mental health problems and would like an assessment, you can contact Islington’s Community Mental Health Assessment and Advice Team by telephone on 020 3317 6800 on Monday to Friday between 9am - 5pm.

Was this information helpful?
  1. Please select

  2. Data protection: We will handle your personal information in line with the Data Protection Act 1998 and in accordance with the council’s Fair Processing Notice.