SUGAR SMART Islington
SUGAR SMART is a campaign that supports local businesses, schools, children’s centres, sports / leisure centres, workplaces, hospitals and community organisations to promote heathier, low-sugar alternatives and to limit less healthy food and drink choices.
We want our borough to become a SUGAR SMART borough where healthy food is available in a range of settings and where making the healthy choice is the easy choice. We’re asking businesses and organisations to get involved and take action on reducing sugar and raising awareness.
Why SUGAR SMART?
With cheap sugary food and drink available everywhere, most people consume too much sugar and it’s bad for our health. In 2015 it was recommended that the population’s intake of free sugar be halved and consumption of sugar-sweetened drinks minimised by both children and adults.
The new recommendations are as follows:
|Age||Maximum daily intake of free sugars||Sugar cubes|
|2 years old||No more than 13g per day||3 sugar cubes|
|3 years old||No more than 15g per day||4 sugar cubes|
|4–6 years||No more than 19g per day||5 sugar cubes|
|7–10 years||No more than 24g per day
||6 sugar cubes|
|11 years to adult||No more than 30g per day||7 sugar cubes|
Any local business, organisation or employer can sign up to the campaign on the SUGAR SMART website. There are lots of suggestions for actions that help people to reduction their sugar intake, or you can come up with your own innovative idea and email that to Julie Edgecombe.
To join the campaign, you need to agree to the following:
- State your commitment: Sign up to Sugar Smart and tell your employees, customers, patients and clients.
- Make your Pledge: aim to be as ambitious as possible to make healthy food and drink more affordable and accessible, and to promote healthy food
- Spread the word: spread the message about reducing the amount and prominence of products high in fat, salt and sugar to your customers, employees, suppliers and other key stakeholders and publicise your involvement in Sugar Smart Islington
Once you have signed up, your business will be featured on the national SUGAR SMART website.
Take part in Fizz Free February
Could you and your family give up fizzy drinks for February? Taking part in Fizz Free February is a great way to reduce your sugar intake by cutting out fizzy drinks. It can also help you on your way to drinking less sugary drinks for the rest of the year.
Three great reasons to go Fizz Free
- you can save £438 a year if you stopped drinking one bottle of soft drink, per day, for a year
- drinking just one 330ml can of fizzy drink a day could add up to over a stone weight gain per year
- tooth decay is the leading cause for hospitalisation among five to nine year olds in the UK
About the SUGAR SMART campaign
SUGAR SMART Islington is part of Sugar Smart UK, a national campaign led by Sustain.
For more information on Sugar Smart Islington contact: