Social distancing icon

Further help for children and families

There are a large number of services that are available to support Islington children and families; either through the Council or in partnership with other organisations, including voluntary organisations and mutual aid groups.

Contact the We are Islington helpline (020 7527 8222), Minicom 020 7527 1900, or email if you or, someone you know, needs support.

Financial worries

Details of resident support schemes, support for council tenants and with council tax.

Islington coronavirus support directory with organisations that offer legal advice (for example with benefits, debt, housing).

Domestic abuse

We know that coronavirus is especially hard on people living with domestic violence and abuse - that’s why Islington’s domestic violence and abuse services are still operating. Ongoing support to victims and survivors of domestic abuse, or domestic, sexual, or gender-based violence can be accessed by telephone, text, email or web chat/WhatsApp.

Anyone in immediate danger should call 999.

How to contact the police if you’re too scared to speak out loud

Silent Solutions is a system for victims of domestic abuse who might be afraid of further danger and escalation of harm if they are overheard when calling 999 in an emergency.

When somebody calls 999, an operator will ask which emergency service is required. If the caller is unable to audibly signal to the operator, the call will be forwarded to an operating system.

If 55 is pressed by the caller, the system will detect this. The operator will then transfer the call to the relevant police force as an emergency.

Solace Women’s Aid offers free advice and support to women and children in Islington to build safe and strong lives. Residents can contact Solace in Islington who provide free and confidential support to women and men affected by abuse – call 020 3795 5070 or email (9am-5pm, Monday-Friday).

Download the Bright Sky app, which provides useful information on services in your local area.

If you are a housing tenant, our housing officers will work with you to make sure you can remain living safely in your home. Please call us on 020 7527 5300.

Islington Council has more information about local support and a directory of services.

  • IMECE support and empower Turkish, Kurdish and Cypriot Turkish women and Black, Asian, minority ethnic, refugee (BAMER) and migrant women to improve the quality of their lives.
  • Latin American Women’s Aid runs the only two refuges in Europe by and for Latin American women and children fleeing gender-based violence. They also offer holistic and intersectional services, providing everything a BME woman needs to recover from abuse and live empowered lives.
  • KMEWO support Kurdish and Middle Eastern women to recover from distress and suffering from past and present experiences of domestic abuse and honour-based violence.
  • The government has written advice and guidance for those who are experiencing or feel at risk of domestic abuse during the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.
  • Women’s Aid, The Hide out website helps children and young people understand domestic abuse and how to take positive action if it happening to them.
  • Solace Women’s Aid Youth Advocates can support young people who have experienced, are experiencing or are at risk of domestic abuse, sexual violence, and sexual exploitation.
  • Solace offer one-to-one counselling, for further information contact 020 7619 1360 or email
  • The Children’s Independent Domestic Violence Advocate provides 1-2-1 support for young people (all genders) aged 13-17 living in Islington. Contact Josie Holden Wilby by email or on 07485 310710

Worried about a child or young person?

If you think that a child may be experiencing neglect or abuse phone 020 7527 7400 at any time. Always dial 999 in an emergency.

The Children’s Services Contact Team (CSCT) is the single point of contact for all services for children, young people and families in Islington who may need extra help and support. The services offered include:

  • Family support in the community through our children’s centres and Families First
  • Support for children and young people who are at risk of getting involved in gangs, antisocial behaviour or crime
  • Health and mental health services
  • Children’s Social Care - services to protect and safeguard vulnerable children.

Who to contact
020 7527 7400 - Children's Services Contact Team
020 7527 3366 - Disabled Children's Team

Health Services

Do not delay calling your GP if you are concerned about your child’s health. If you need immediate assistance, dial 999 or attend A&E.

Hospital is still the safest place for your child if they are seriously ill. Accident and Emergency services for children and young people have now reopened at UCLH and the Royal Free Hospital. There are children and young people’s emergency departments at:

  • Whittington Hospital
  • University College Hospital (UCH)
  • Royal Free Hospital
  • Royal London Hospital

Health services are open as usual, however some services are being delivered differently – for example you may be offered a telephone or video consultation with your GP in the first instance rather than an automatic face to face appointment.

  • For general online information and to check symptoms refer to NHS online or use 111 online.
  • If needed call your GP to discuss your concerns and seek help.
  • You can also call 111 for further advice, this is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week but please be aware that this service is very busy at the moment.
  • COVID 19: If your concerns relate to coronavirus you can also check the NHS symptom checker.

Health visitors are back to working with parents face to face if you are happy to see them in your home or in a clinic setting. If you know your health visitor call the number given to you in your red book otherwise use the duty line 020 3316 8008 which is open 9 am to 5pm.

School nurses are working in schools and clinical settings offering support, advice and workshops on issues such as covid-19, bed wetting, managing minor illnesses, head lice, fussy eating, hand washing. If you have a health query or concern about your child in school please contact the team via the school office or directly on 020 3316 8021, by email or complete the referral form.

A list of pharmacies that offer phone payment and home delivery.


Contact the Family Information Service (FIS) for advice about finding childcare.

You can contact them on 020 7527 5959 or email

Phone line open Monday to Friday, 9am to 4pm.

Support for single parents

Gingerbread: a charity that supports single parent families, with a website and single parent helpline: 0808 802 0925 (see website for when it is open).

Maa Shanti: for single Asian mums, offering support in Hindi, Punjabi, Urdu and Bengali.Currently have online activities and group support via What’sApp. provides information, advice and links for anyone who is parenting alone.

Coping at home

  • Young Minds have a free Parents Helpline on 0808 802 5544 (Monday-Friday, 9.30am-4pm) to offer advice to parents and carers worried about a child or young person.
  • Children and young people can contact Childline for free on 0800 1111.
  • See, Hear Respond is a service for children, young people and families who are struggling to cope with the impacts of coronavirus. Parents, children or young people can contact them directly, either by telephone (0800 157 7015) or by using the online form.
  • If you're worried about something a child or young person may have experienced online, you can contact the NSPCC helpline for free support and advice. Call on 0808 800 5000 or contact online.

Keeping healthy: emotional wellbeing

In Islington, our Social, Emotional, Mental Health (SEMH) Services are still operational virtually and available to support any young person in the borough of Islington who may be displaying difficulties with their emotional wellbeing and/or mental health. Referrals can be made through our central point of access. Please note, all referrals are screened for safeguarding in the first instance. Please call 020 7527 7400 or 0207 527 3355 between 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday, or complete the referral form.

  • Kooth is a free online counselling and emotional well-being support service providing young people aged 11-18 years.
  • Islington Council have put together a list of useful organisations for adults.
  • Cruse offer support, advice and information when someone dies, they also have a helpline: 0808 808 1677.
  • For information about SEMH services which work with children and young people in Islington schools, please visit the SEMH services web pages. 

Keeping healthy: physical health

The Islington coronavirus support directory provides details of community groups and local shops that can support families to access food:

Was this information helpful?

  1. Data protection: We will handle your personal information in line with the Data Protection Act 1998 and in accordance with the council’s Fair Processing Notice.