Turnmill Street / Cowcross Street Public Realm Improvements
As part of the works to Farringdon Station Islington Council is carrying out public realm improvement works to Turnmill Street and Cowcross Street. The works began in January 2012 and are ongoing. The works include.
- Repaving and widening the footways.
- Narrowing the carriageway and resurfacing with granite blocks.
- Raising the surface of the road to footway level between the new entrance on Turnmill Street and the entrance on Cowcross Street.
- New cycle parking facilities.
- New bollards.
- We are also consulting with Transport for London on the potential reversal of traffic on Turnmill Street and Cowcross Street. If this happens then we will also introduce a contra-flow cycle lane.
Our contractor is currently on site laying granite blocks in Cowcross Street. By March (weather permitting) we should have finished this section of the scheme. So far we have repaved and widened the footpaths on the whole of Turnmill Street and the eastern part of Cowcross Street and introduced a step free section adjacent to the new London Underground building to aid the increased number of pedestrians. We have also introduced numerous new cycle stands. In the coming weeks we will introduce some new trees, and security bollards as well as beginning works on the bridge section between the two station entrances. This work should take no more than a month and will begin shortly.
If you require further information please contact -
Parking Projects Manager
Traffic and Parking Services
020 7527 4797