Roads icon

Streetworks Applications - Scaffolding, Hoarding, Building Materials, Containers, Crane, Section 50 and Road Closures

We need to licence all temporary obstructions placed on the public highway which includes the footways and carriageway in order to balance the needs of businesses with the practical needs of pedestrians.

Assisting pedestrians and shoppers

Builders licences form a part of our assisting pedestrians and shoppers policy.

If you require a road closure to enable your works to proceed current highways legislation requires that you obtain a Temporary Traffic Order. Please download and complete the application at the bottom of this page. The timeframe for processing this licence request is 4 - 6 weeks.

How do I apply for a licence?

Application packs for scaffolding, hoarding, builders materials, containers and cranesare available to download at the bottom of the page. The relevant application pack can be scanned and emailed to postedto:

Islington Public Realm, PO Box 2025, Pershore WR10 9BU.

If you would prefer to receive a hard copy application pack please contact the Streetworks team on the details below.

Please note licences can take up to 10 working days to process. Site visits are carried out and consideration to other highway users is taken into account before approval is given.

For any application for works on a Transport for London managed road (any Red Route) approval must be obtained from TfL's Licensing Team by0845600 Licence applications can be downloaded here.

Licence fees

A deposit if held to cover the costs of any damage caused to highways that may occur during the works. The deposit and fee is dependent upon the area occupied and can be found detailed on the application forms. If you require a deposit refund use the Streetworks Refund request, or for dropped kerbs, the Section 50 Refund Request below.

As of 1st October 2017  the standard licence duration for Scaffolding  , Hoarding and Materials will change from 6 to 3 Months.

If you require any clarification regarding deposits and fees please contact the Streetworks team.


For information about placing a skip on the highway please see our skip page.

Contact details

To contact us please

Was this information helpful?
  1. Please select

  2. Data protection: We will handle your personal information in line with the Data Protection Act 1998 and in accordance with the council’s Fair Processing Notice.