Roads icon

Street parties and special events

Street parties and fetes are a traditional part of community life. We have made it easier for residents to organise street parties. The application pack contains guidance to help you organise your event and a simple application form. You can download the pack at the bottom of this page.

Small, private, street parties and fetes do not normally require a license. These parties and fetes are where groups of residents or a community organisation organises the event for the benefit of their neighbours or a local school. Examples of these are the annual ‘Big Lunch’ event, school fetes or street parties to celebrate a notable occasion such as the Royal Wedding.

If you want to organise your party in a park or greenspace please email: This document relates to parties in the street.

The main differences between these and larger public events are listed below:

Street parties and fetes

  • for residents/neighbours only
  • no licences normally necessary if music incidental and no selling is involved
  • no formal risk assessment needed
  • organised by the community.

Larger public events

  • anyone can attend
  • external publicity (such as in newspapers)
  • licence usually needed
  • insurance needed
  • risk assessment common
  • professional/skilled organisers

Licensed events

If you want to have a pay bar, intend to provide entertainment to the wider public, or charge to raise money for your event, you will need a Temporary Event Notice. This is a type of temporary licence and costs £21.

You may need a premises licence if you expect an attendance of 500 people or more and the event is aimed at the public in general (rather than just immediate neighbours). You will need to provide at least three months notice to the Licensing team for a Premises Licence.

For further information about Temporary Event Notices and Premises Licences, contact the Licensing team:

Licensing Team

To contact the licensing team please email:


Although your street party may not need a licence, please ensure that any noise is carefully controlled so as not to cause an unreasonable disturbance to others in the area who may not be taking part in the event.

This includes keeping noise generating equipment to sensible levels and limiting the timing of events to afternoon or early evening especially during the week. Should you wish to have an event in the evening on a weekend or school holidays, ensure that the event finishes by dusk.

Organising the event

You need to ensure there are no pre-planned works or road closures scheduled for your proposed dates and location. For advice, contact Barry Lucas, Principal Technical Officer, on 020 7527 2582 or email

Once you are sure there are no other works or closures at the time you want your event, please complete this application form and send it to us at least six weeks before the date of your event.

Please scan your completed form and email it to or post to: Islington Public Realm, PO Box 2025, Pershore WR10 9BU.

Was this information helpful?
  1. Please select

  2. Data protection: We will handle your personal information in line with the Data Protection Act 1998 and in accordance with the council’s Fair Processing Notice.