Islington’s contractors have been delivering highway schemes to improve the environment for all those who use Islington’s streets. Our partnering ethos ensures we work closely with our residents to try to reduce any disruption and to provide the best quality possible. Islington’s current highways contractors are Ringway Group Ltd and FM Conway Ltd.
Eurovia, founded in 1976, is a national company specialising in the construction, improvement and maintenance of transport related infrastructure throughout the UK primarily through long-term public sector contracts and also with international blue chip companies.
In October 2007, Eurovia commenced a Term Maintenance Contract for planned Highways Maintenance works within the North Area of the London Borough of Islington. The contract encompasses the following activities:
- highway maintenance and new build for footways and carriageways
- bus related schemes
- cycle lanes and priority schemes
- accident remedial schemes
- carriageway resurfacing
- footway relaying
- traffic calming and 20mph schemes
- controlled parking zone implementation
- highway improvement and drainage works
Eurovia work closely with the London Borough of Islington to enable them to achieve their main goal within their ‘ICexcellence’ Programme; to improve overall Resident Satisfaction and to ensure continuous improvement in service delivery, efficiencies (vfm), sustainability and environmental matters.
FM Conway Ltd
FM Conway Ltd currently work on the term maintenance contract for all planned highway schemes in the western part of the borough. This includes maintenance and engineering works.
With a wealth of experience and a proven track record in delivering contracts in accordance with clients objectives, Conway’s understand both the nature of works and the many challenges; as well as the changing context within which local authorities now have to operate.
Conway’s objective is to align their goals with those of Islington to enable a world class service that will deliver best value and initiate a step change in service delivery.
Capabilities of Conway’s are vast and include:
- reactive and planned maintenance
- traffic management schemes
- footway/carriageway reconstruction and surfacing
- trench reinstatements
- gully emptying
- emergency response service (24/7, 365 days a year)
- winter maintenance
SSE Contracting is the largest external public lighting contractor in the UK, with the responsibility for replacing and maintaining more than one million lighting units nationwide. In 2003 Islington entered into a 25 year PFI (Private Finance Initiative) partnership to improve street lighting across our borough. Over the past 8 years approx 10,000 street lights and illuminated traffic signs have been replaced within Islington and SSE Contracting continue to maintain our 15,000 street lights and illuminated street furniture including :
- 24 hour Customer Call Centre
- Emergency Response
- Asset Replacement
- Routine and Reactive Maintenance
- Maintenance of Accurate Asset Management Database
- Customer Satisfaction Surveys
- High Levels of Safety Management and Performance
- Highly Skilled and Experienced Workforce
In addition to street lighting services the business also has a dedicated building services division providing a full range of M&E Contracting to public and private organisations throughout the UK.
Key services available include
- Street lighting Private Finance Initiative (PFI) projects
- Public private partnerships
- Highway lighting and maintenance contracts
- Feasibility and design
- Existing equipment condition surveys and reports
- Independent connection provider (NERS accredited)
- Installation and maintenance
- Sports arena and car park lighting
- Facility and asset management software solutions