Although public transport and active modes of transport (e.g. walking and cycling) are the Council’s top transport priority, electric vehicles offer an alternative to petrol/diesel vehicles, and help reduce the air pollution associated with road transport. Many Islington residents do not have their own off-street parking so the Council is helping to provide on-street charging points to encourage people switch from petrol and diesel vehicles to electric vehicles.
Electric Vehicle Charging Points
There are a variety of different publically available charging points in Islington, some of which are located on public streets and some on private property. Search the Zap Map to find the points nearest to you and then visit the operator’s website for details of how to access the points. The fees to use the charging points vary by operator.
Islington Council also has its own network of on-street charging points that are exclusively available for Islington residents.
Apply to use a council charging point
To use a council charging point, you need to apply for an electric vehicle charging point (EVCP) permit.
- it costs £67 for the first year and then £20 annually
- the permit means you can park by a charger when you’re using it
- you’ll receive a smart card to activate the charger
- you’ll need to provide your own cable
- can use any available council charging point
- Download the electric vehicle permit application form (PDF 220KB) and payment form (PDF 190KB).
- Return them by email to the parking permit team
Find council charging point locations
When you’ve subscribed to use Islington council charging points, you can use these points:
- Alexander Road N19 3PQ – opposite numbers 62/ 64
- 2-4 Tufnell Park Road N7 0QA – near Holloway Road end
- Cahill Street EC1Y 8SA - near Peabody Buildings, Block J, Dufferin Street
- Farringdon Lane, EC1R 0NA - near the junction with Vine Street Bridge
- Giesbach Road N19 3EH – near the junction with Holloway Road
- Hall Street EC1V 7LX - near the junction with Goswell Road
- Hemingford Road N1 1DA – at the Hemingford Road/ Belitha Villas/ Huntingdon Street junction
- Highbury Crescent N5 1RN - outside Highbury swimming pool
- Lever Street EC1V 3RH - near the junction with Ironmonger Row
- Pooles Park N4 3PG – near the junction with Carville Street
- Sheringham Road N7 8PB - near the junction with Lough Road (rapid charger)
- St. Johns Grove N19 5RW – near the junction with junction Road
- St. Luke’s Close EC1V 3QL - near the junction with Old Street
- Tolpuddle Street N1 0XT - outside the Culpeper Park playground
The Council also has one pay as you go charging point which any member of the public can use:
- Pemberton Gardens N19 5RU – at junction of Junction Road (rapid charger)
Other charging points
The Council has also partnered with Source London to provide a large network of on-street charging points across Islington. As of August 2018, Source London had over 850 charging points across London. To use these charging points you will need to become a member of the Source London scheme. For more information, visit the Source London website.
There is currently a trail of pay-as-you-go lamppost-mounted chargers you can use:
- Balfe street x2 N1
- Railway street N1 9EB
To use them, visit the Ubitricity website. The Council intends to install many more of these lamppost chargers in the near future.
Request a charging point on your street
If you are interested in having a charging point installed near your property, please email public realm with details of the location when you would like to see a charging point.
Parking permit for electric vehicle owners
If you own an electric vehicle, you can get a free resident parking permit. For more information see Islington council parking permits.
Depending on the CO2 emissions of your car, you could be entitled to discounted or free congestion charge.
Charging point not working?
- Enquiries or issues with an Islington Council charge point should be directed to Charge Your Car on 01912 650 500
- Enquiries or issues with a Source London charge point should be directed to Source London on 02030 568989