Planning documents icon


The controls for demolition are given in Sections 80 – 83 of the Building Act 1984.  For further information, please visit the government's legislation website.

If you are planning to carry out any demolition work you must give notice in writing to the council under Section 80 - see downloadable documents below for the Demolition Notice form.

It is also your duty to send copies of your notice to:

  • the public utilities – gas and electricity suppliers, and
  • the owners /occupiers of any adjacent sites/buildings

 The Act gives some exemptions for:

  • Demolition under the order of the Housing Act
  • Demolition of internal part of an occupied building
  • A building not more than 50 cubic metres
  • A green house, conservatory, shed or prefabricated garage and certain agricultural buildings

The notice must be given at least six weeks before the work is due to start. This period is to allow the time to consult other interested parties and in many case the council will be able to give Notice under Section 81 within 15 working days of a valid Demolition Notice.

The Section 81 Notice will set out various conditions which are intended to ensure that the demolition work is carried out safely and with no loss of public amenity. The Council also has to give copies of this Notice to: 

  • the owners and occupiers of any buildings adjacent to the demolition site
  • the utility authorities
  • the Health and Safety Executive and the Fire Service if burning material on site

 The Notice may contain the following conditions:

(a) shore up adjacent buildings and weatherproof their exposed surfaces.

(b) repair and make good damage to an adjacent building caused by the demolition.

(c) remove material or rubbish from the site resulting from the demolition.

(d) disconnect and seal or remove any drain or sewer affected by the demolition.

(e) make good the surface of the ground disturbed by the above.

(f) make arrangements for the disconnection of gas, water and electricity into the building

(g) making arrangements with regards to the burning of materials on site with    

  • the fire authority, and    
  • the Health and Safety Executive

(h) take such steps as the local authority consider necessary for the protection of the public and the preservation of public amenity.

Note:  demolition should not start before a valid notice has been given and accepted by the Council and six weeks have elapsed since the acceptance of your notice or the council has issued a Section 81 Notice before then.

You should check to ensure compliance with any requirements for planning and highways respectively. Please see 'related information link to the right. 

You may need to obtain a party wall agreement with any adjoining building owner under the Part Wall Act - please see 'useful websites link to the right.

For information on reducing, recycling and re-using demolition and construction waste please see downloadable document below.

Was this information helpful?

  1. Data protection: We will handle your personal information in line with the Data Protection Act 1998 and in accordance with the council’s Fair Processing Notice.