Islington Reads is not just a council-run initiative; it's an open invitation to groups and individuals in the community to promote the benefits of reading and encourage our residents to read.
By working in collaboration to get more people reading, we can help improve the borough’s literacy rates, get more people into work and give our residents a better quality of life.
The Islington Reads campaign aims to:
- raise aspiration and achievement in children and young people through the promotion of reading
- promote the benefits of reading to all Islington residents
- improve access to reading materials
- increase the choice of reading materials
- support people who can't read or who find reading difficult
If you’re an organisation or individual whose work shares the same aims as Islington Reads, get involved and help bring the benefits of reading to our residents.
Getting involved in Islington Reads will help you or your organisation to:
- understand how reading can contribute to improved health and employment prospects
- share good practice and learn from others
- encourage children to improve their reading skills
For more information contact Tony Brown at email@example.com or on 020 7527 6963.
For a list of organisations and individuals that are already part of the Islington Reads campaign, visit the Family Directory.
Most Islington schools make use of reading volunteers. Beanstalk recruits, vets, trains and supports volunteers to work in primary schools with children who have fallen behind with their reading.
Teen Read Vote
If you are aged 11 to 18 you can vote for your favourite new book from a shortlist of seven chosen by Islington secondary school students.
You can also vote by downloading our form and returning it to your local library, your school or Waterstones Islington.
Voting ends on 10 February and the winner will be announced at a special by invitation event at Waterstones book shop at Islington Green in March around World Book Day. As well as lots of exciting prizes, we will have a special guest author on the day to talk about their work and writing for teens.
For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org
The Islington Teen Read Vote is part of the Islington Reads programme of events and activities designed to get everyone in Islington reading. For more information, visit the Islington Reads site.