Launched in October 2018, Music Education Islington (MEI) is a partnership of the leading providers of music education in the borough, led by Islington Council with Guildhall School of Music & Drama as the lead delivery partner.
It will enable the borough’s schools and pupils to make the most of world-class music education, resources and experiences through the Guildhall School, and be enriched by the Guildhall School’s creative alliance with the Barbican.
MEI seeks to ensure all children develop their music skills regardless of their background or attainment and is part of Islington Council’s commitment to a fairer Islington where young people learn and thrive.
MEI has two key priorities – to increase and widen access to music education for children and young people in the borough and ensure they have clear pathways to continue their musical development.
Guildhall School is the central contact point for delivery partners, schools, young people and their parents and carers.
MEI will provide all children and young people (aged 5 to 18) in the London Borough of Islington with:
- The opportunity to learn a musical instrument through whole-class ensemble teaching programmes for the a minimum of a term
- Clear and affordable progression routes
- The chance to sing regularly with choirs and other vocal ensembles in the area
- An instrument loan service, with discounts or free provision for those on low incomes
- Access to large scale high-quality music experiences, through Guildhall, Barbican and other partner organisations
MEI also offers continuous professional development (CPD) to schools to help them deliver music in the curriculum.
For more information visit the Guildhall School website or contact Hub Coordinator Mirjam James at the Guildhall School.