Create a difference!
Thank you for helping to shape Islington’s outstanding bid to be the Mayor’s London Borough of Culture 2019.
We were overwhelmed by the quality and ambition of project proposals, and the shared vision for addressing inequalities and creating change through arts, culture and creativity.
Islington’s Create a Difference bid set out a potentially transformational year of activity. With a total value of over £2.5m Islington’s programme promises incredible variety, beauty and impact - with fairness at its heart. Every project included in our bid aims to tackle inequalities and make a difference to people’s lives.
The creative ambition and quality of artistic ideas, process and product were exceptional. If we win the 2019 London Borough of Culture title our year will showcase an unbelievable range of activity and talent with projects including:
- comedy writing and performance for young people not in education, employment or training - from the first idea of a sketch to performance
- a massive outdoor spectacle of aerial acrobatics, parkour and music featuring local people at a major cultural venue
- heritage projects exploring Islington’s past and present communities and the built environment, including arts activities documenting influential women from Islington’s rich history
- advancing an ‘Islington Pledge’ commitment to outstanding cultural enrichment opportunities for all children and young people attending local schools
- inclusive theatre production by care leavers and marginalised young people
- a new massed choir involving Islington residents of all ages recruited through community groups and schools
- weekly workshops for older residents exploring artworks from local galleries and responding to these with a range of creative activities
- a huge arts programme delivered by and for young women, opening up professional theatres, galleries and cultural venues
The Mayor of London will announce the winners of the London Borough of Culture titles for 2019 and 2020 on 27th February 2018 at an event at City Hall, as well as grants for exemplary projects from other boroughs.
You can follow proceedings live at www.london.gov.uk/mylocalculture. We will also tweet the results on @IslingtonBC
Islington Council announces its bid to be the London Borough of Culture.