Why should you consider applying?
- Our scheme is more than just an accountancy programme, it also includes leadership and strategic and personal development.
- This 4-year scheme is designed to equip you with all the skills and understanding you need to have a successful career within public services.
- You’ll receive expert guidance and mentoring throughout the programme.
- Excellent benefits package that improves as your training progresses.
- Long-term career opportunities at Islington Council.
- The London Borough of Islington lies in the heart of the city, with thriving cultural, culinary, and nightlife experiences within its 6 square miles.
- For more information read the Islington’s Finance Graduate Scheme 2021 overview.
Why being a CIPFA Finance Graduate Trainee is for you
"As a council we value the graduates that come through the Finance Graduate Programme and that is why we have a well established package offering excellent support and work experience required to succeed; as well as a pathway into opportunities for career progression and further learning."- David Hodgkinson, Corporate Director Resources.
Watch the video and listen to David explain more about the role.
A message from our current graduates, Lucy and Ellena
‘I joined Islington as a History graduate with very little financial and accounting knowledge, but have learnt so much through the combination of my CIPFA studies and putting this into practise in my placements day-to-day. Being given the opportunity to rotate through different teams within Finance has enabled me to get a greater understanding of the different roles and responsibilities.
Islington is a really interesting borough to work in, and is a great working environment as well. Colleagues are really supportive and understanding of the challenges of undertaking studies while working. Having a mentor from day one as an extra level of support is also really helpful’. - Lucy, History, Cardiff University.
Now watch this short video of Ellena, talk about her experience and the many benefits of our CIPFA Graduate Scheme.
We are determined to create a more equal Islington, where everyone who lives here has an equal chance to thrive.
Corporate peer challenge 2018
Co-ordinated by the Local Government Association, in March 2018, Islington invited a small team of local Government Officers and councillors to spend time at the council
London Living Wage
Islington Council made the commitment to become a Living Wage employer in 2011
The Fairness Commission
Despite its wealthy image, Islington is the twenty-sixth most deprived local authority area in England, with extremes of rich and poor.