Chief Executive of Islington Council
What you'll do
The Chief Executive is the principal adviser to the elected leadership of the council on their strategic policy direction and forward planning of objectives, services, and resources to support elected leaders to deliver on their political ambitions for the borough.
You will be a visible leader who takes initiative and drives positive change within and beyond the council, putting community power at the heart.
- Lead by example in advocating and furthering fairness, equality, and diversity within the workplace and in the delivery of services
- Work closely with officers and council members to ensure an engaged, joined up approach to service delivery
- Ensure strong, visible, and positive corporate leadership across the senior leadership team, ensuring that they are role-models for the values, that they listen and that they continuously learn from those on the frontline.
Culture change and transformation
- Through working with elected members, ensure that the council engages with and listens to the views of the local community with the aim of securing the economic, social and environmental wellbeing of all its residents
- Personally role-model and embed a culture that encourages organisational transformation while reflecting the council’s values
- Constructively challenge existing beliefs and assumptions where appropriate to ensure services are designed around residents’ needs, with a clear focus on prevention and early intervention and acting decisively when required
- Ensure there is shared responsibility and empowered direction throughout the council to support a high calibre, motivated, empowered, and flexible workforce.
Islington Together 2030
- Deliver Islington’s corporate plan - Islington Together 2030 - and ensure that we continue to innovate and challenge conventional thinking in the pursuit of improved impact on outcomes for the residents and communities of Islington.
- Develop a culture of continuous real-time learning, experimentation, and adaptations to the system, seeking evidence to focus on root cause, ensuring the organisation measures effectiveness from our residents’ point of view and that resources are invested where we can have most impact and achieve maximum value.
- Develop the council’s workforce by inspiring ownership of its aims and objectives which align to our CARE values, encouraging cross-council working, empowering decision-taking and responsibility.
Resources and financial management
- As Head of Paid Service and alongside the Section 151 officer exercise strong financial management and a commitment to outcome-based financial planning to balance increasing demand for services and reducing income from central government
- To drive Islington’s transformation programme, ensure the governance, grip and pace is in place to enable the council to meet its goals on time and on budget
- Ensure the effective co-ordination of bids and resources to promote the sustainable regeneration of Islington.
Public-facing and strategic partnerships
- Represent the council by promoting its image and reputation on a national and London wide stage while also helping to influence the environment within which the council operates at regional and national level. You will also represent the council at civic and borough occasions as required
- Create strong relationships with strategic partners that enables the council to work across the whole system to achieve the greatest impact for our residents
- Provide compelling, clear, compassionate, and decisive leadership as required during emergency management situations – supporting pan-London needs including participating in the GOLD rota.
- Fulfil all statutory responsibilities of the role of Returning Officer and Acting Returning Officer to ensure that all elections are conducted in accordance with the law and to a high standard.
- Ensure legal, regulatory and policy compliance under GDPR, Health and Safety, identifying opportunities and risks and escalating where appropriate.
How to apply
Find out more about what our staff are looking for in a Chief Executive.
Download and use the job description and person specification to complete your application.
Applications for this role are through our recruitment partners, Penna. Go to the apply page by clicking below.
Closing date: Sunday 16 July 2023