Icon of a housing block

What you need to apply for a HMO licence

Find out about the licensing process for HMOs

The correct HMO Licensing fees are listed in the documents found on this page. See 'useful documents' below.

How do I apply for a licence?

Contact us to confirm whether or not your property needs a licence, see contact details further down. 

After you describe how the property is arranged and occupied, we will direct you to the correct application form on this page (see 'Useful documents' below).

The form can be printed out, completed by hand, scanned and emailed or posted to us.

To make a valid application you will need to complete the application form including:

Details of all persons that either have a legal interest in the property (such as owners, the mortgage company and tenants) and those involved in its management.

Details of the management arrangements (who does what and when) and provide us with:

  • your completed application form
  • certificates covering gas safety, electrical safety and the current annual test certificate for any fire detection and emergency lighting systems that are in place (if applicable) layout plans for the property
  • a current tenancy agreement
  • the correct fee, including proof of LLAS accreditation if applying for a discount (see 'HMO Licensing fees' PDF below)

Please speak to us if you would like information about our supported application options (please note that additional charges apply for these services).

How much does a licence cost?

A five-year licence will cost £280 per letting (bedsit, bedroom or studio) or £685 if the HMO is comprised entirely of self-contained flats (only required for Caledonian and Holloway Road). For example, the licence for an HMO containing three bedsits will cost £840. The licence for a converted block containing two flats in the same ownership will be £685 (only required for Caledonian and Holloway Road).

How long does a licence last?

Licences can be issued for a maximum of five years.

A year-one licence will be issued where specific concerns with the management of a property warrant closer attention through licensing.

How do I get a five-year licence and avoid the extra cost of renewing the licence after a year?

To get a five-year licence you need to:

  • certify that all persons involved in the management of the property meet the fit and proper person criteria (which is explained in the application form).
  • submit a completed application form that provides information which demonstrates that the property is well managed in accordance with the HMO management regulations.
  • submit the supporting documents listed earlier on the page (current certificates, layout plans and tenancy agreement).

Meanwhile the background checks that we carry out must not:

  • contradict the information provided in your application.
  • provide any other evidence that the property is not being managed in accordance with legal requirements.

Why is an additional licence needed for Holloway Road and Caledonian Road?

The council carried out a survey along these two roads which revealed that 68% of the 200 properties reviewed were poorly managed.

Following consultation with residents and landlords, the Council's Executive made the decision that the Additional Licensing Scheme for HMOs should be introduced in this designated area.

About the forms

Use s254 application form to apply for a new HMO licence application for a house share type or bedsit type HMO 

Use s254 application renewal form to renew an existing HMO licence for a house share type or bedsit type HMO 

Use s257 application form to apply for a new section 257 HMO licence – these are buildings with converted flats that do not meet the 1991 building regulations and more than two thirds of the flats are privately rented (only required for Caledonian and Holloway Road).

Contact the HMO team

To check whether your property requires a licence, please contact us:

Email: hmolicensing@islington.gov.uk

Tel: 020 7527 3205

Was this information helpful?
  1. Please select

  2. Data protection: We will handle your personal information in line with the Data Protection Act 1998 and in accordance with the council’s Fair Processing Notice.