Icon of a housing block

Caledonian Road and Holloway road licensing scheme

Following consultation with residents and landlords the Council’s Executive made the decision that an Additional Licensing Scheme for privately rented shared houses and flats (HMOs) would be introduced. This came into effect on 1 September 2015.

This applies to privately rented shared houses and flats (HMOs) on Caledonian Road and Holloway Road.

This type of licence will be required for all properties which are:

  • rented properties occupied by three or more persons in two or more households with some sharing of amenities; and
  • buildings converted into self-contained flats where the conversion works do not comply with appropriate building standards (those applied in 1991 or later) and less than two-thirds of the flats are owner occupied.

The new Additional Licence will not apply to:

Purpose built student flats which are registered and managed so as to conform with national approved codes of practice.

To make a valid application you will need to complete the application form including:

Details of all persons that either have a legal interest in the property (such as owners, the mortgage company and tenants) and those involved in its management.

Details of the management arrangements (who does what and when) and provide us with:

  • your completed application form
  • certificates covering gas safety, electrical safety and the current annual test certificate for any fire detection and emergency lighting systems that are in place (if applicable)
  • layout plans for the property
  • a current tenancy agreement
  • the correct fee.

The application form provides instructions on how to complete and submit it online together with the supporting documents listed above.

Please speak to us if you would like information about our supported application options (please note that additional charges apply for these services).

How much does a licence cost?

A five year licence will cost £280 per letting (bedsit, bedroom or studio) or £685 if the HMO is comprised entirely of self-contained flats. For example, the licence for an HMO containing three bedsits will cost £840. The licence for a converted block containing two flats in the same ownership will be £685.

How long does a licence last?

Licences can be issued for a maximum of five years. 

A year one licence will be issued where specific concerns with the management of a property warrant closer attention through licensing. Further guidance on the use of these reduced term licences can be found in the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s) below.

How do I get a five year licence? (And avoid the extra cost of renewing the licence after 1 year?)

To get a five year licence you need to:

  • certify that all persons involved in the management of the property meet the fit and proper person criteria (which is explained in the application form).
  • submit a completed application form that provides information which demonstrates that the property is well managed in accordance with the HMO management regulations.
  • submit the supporting documents listed above under “How do I apply for a licence (current certificates, layout plans and tenancy agreement).

Meanwhile the background checks that we carry out must not:

  • contradict the information provided in your application.
  • provide any other evidence that the property is not being managed in accordance with legal requirements.

Why is the Additional Licence only being introduced for Holloway Road and Caledonian Road?

The council carried out a survey along these two roads which revealed that 68% of the 200 properties reviewed were poorly managed.

Following consultation with residents and landlords the Council’s Executive made the decision that the Additional Licensing Scheme for HMOs should be introduced in this designated area.

For more information

You can read the FAQs and other related documents below to find out more about the scheme including the public consultation, the designated area and general information about HMOs.


Residential Environmental Health

Email: property.licensing@islington.gov.uk

Tel: 020 7527 3083

Was this information helpful?
  1. Please select

  2. Data protection: We will handle your personal information in line with the Data Protection Act 1998 and in accordance with the council’s Fair Processing Notice.