School streets – Ambler primary school
What: A temporary road closure will be introduced
Where: on Romilly Road, between Ambler Road and Monsell Road
When will the temporary road closure operate?
- From 25 March 2019
- 8.30am - 9.15am and 3.15pm - 4pm during term-time
- Monday to Friday
What does it mean?
- Vehicles will not be able to enter the street between these times unless they have been given an exemption.
- Residents and businesses who live and work on a school street and have a valid parking permit registered to an address within the area of the closure will be exempt as well as Blue Badge holders. Blue badge holders who need to access the road, but are not permit holders will need to apply for an exemption, this will only apply for access purposes and not for through use of the closure.
- The scheme will not operate in the school holidays or at weekends.
- Non-registered vehicles entering the street during the times of operation will be identified by camera and issued a penalty charge notice.
Vehicles already in a paid parking bay prior to the start of the street closure restrictions and parked within the limited parking time stated on the sign will be permitted to stay in the parking bay. Vehicles will not be allowed to enter the street and access the paid parking bays during the restricted times.
Signs will inform drivers of the restrictions at the entrance to the closed street. Advance warning signs will also be placed in surrounding streets.
Why are these changes being proposed?
In November 2018 the Council consulted local residents, businesses and the Ambler Primary School community on restricting traffic on Romilly Road, between Ambler Road and Monsell Road, at school start and finish times. The results of the consultation showed that 82% of respondents supported the scheme.
Many of Islington’s schools are located in or near areas of high pollution and children are particularly vulnerable to the effects of air pollution. The School Street Scheme aims to reduce through traffic which will make a safer and more pleasant environment for everyone.
For more information on school streets contact public realm or call Islington Council on 020 7527 2000