Council tax

Council Tax Support

If you're on a low income, you may be entitled to help paying your council tax. This discount on your council tax bill is known as Council Tax Support. It replaced Council Tax Benefit on 1 April 2013.

Who is entitled to Council Tax Support?

You may be entitled to support if you are on a low income or are receiving benefits (such as Jobseekers Allowance, or Income Support).

How is Council Tax Support worked out?

To work out how much Council Tax Support you are entitled to, we compare your 'income' with the amount of money that the government considers to be the minimum amount that you need to live on. This takes into account the size of your family, your age and any extra needs you may have. We make extra allowances for disability, being a carer and having children.

Income is any money you have coming in, so includes earnings from a job if you are in work. It also includes any other benefits you are entitled to such as Jobseekers Allowance, Income Support, or a pension if you are over 65. We also make adjustments for any savings, investments and the value of any property or land you own. The more income you have the less support you will be entitled to.

If other adults live in the property the amount of Council Tax Support is likely to be reduced further as they are expected to contribute.

Was this information helpful?
  1. Please select

  2. Data protection: We will handle your personal information in line with the Data Protection Act 1998 and in accordance with the council’s Fair Processing Notice.