Nursery and Primary school
All children who are attending a maintained nursery or primary school in Islington from the age of three are entitled to free school meals. You must register to receive this service using the citizens portal.
Free school meals are available to some secondary school pupils. Your child may be eligible for free school meals if you get any of the following benefits:
- Income Support
- Income–based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Income-based Employment and Support Allowance
- Child Tax Credit if your taxable income is less than £16,190 and you don't receive Working Tax Credit
- the guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
- support under Section VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Working Tax Credit run-on - paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit
Children who get paid these benefits directly, and not through a parent or guardian, can also get free school meals.
Your child might also get free school meals if you get any of these benefits and your child is both
- younger than the compulsory age for starting school, and
- in full-time education
You must apply for this service using the citizens portal:
If your child is an Islington resident and is eligible for free school meals, they're eligible for the uniform grant as well. We'll pay £150 to help meet the cost of school uniforms when your child transfers to secondary school from year 6.
Using the Citizens Portal
Download our Citizens Portal User Journey Guide from ‘useful documents’ for step-by-step instructions for using the Citizens Portal to register or apply for free school meals. You must have a working email address to use the Citizens Portal.
If you are unable to register with the Citizens portal, please complete the relevant application form available in ‘useful documents’.
For more information, please contact the Free School Meals team email@example.com