Nursery and Primary school
All children who are attending a nursery or community school in Islington from the age of three are entitled to free school meals. You must register for this service. Download and complete the registration form (PDF, 445KB) and return it to your child’s school.
Free school meals are available to eligible secondary school pupils. Your child may be eligible for free school meals if you get any of the following benefits:
- Income Support
- Income–based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Income-based Employment and Support Allowance
- Child Tax Credit if your taxable income is less than £16,190 and you don't receive Working Tax Credit
- the guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
- support under Section VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Working Tax Credit run-on - paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit
Children who get paid these benefits directly, and not through a parent or guardian, can also get free school meals.
Your child might also get free school meals if you get any of these benefits and your child is both
- younger than the compulsory age for starting school, and
- in full-time education
Download and complete the application form (PDF, 404KB).
If your child is an Islington resident and is eligible for free school meals, you’re eligible for the uniform grant as well. We'll pay £150 to help meet the cost of school uniforms when your child transfers to secondary school from year 6.
Phone: 020 7527 5483, 020 7527 3196, 020 7527 7815.