Applications for this grant scheme have now closed. We will assess applications received to date. If any funds remain following the completion of the first round -we will notify businesses of the grant re-opening via our business bulletin.
If you applied and were unable to submit all of the required documents to your applications form, please email any un-submitted documents to HospitalityGrant@islington.gov.uk by 9am Monday 1 November 2021.
Funds will be awarded on a first come, first served basis, until the funding allocation is exhausted. Complete applications will be prioritised over incomplete ones.
We will aim to assess complete applications within 20 working days, but processing times may take longer.
The council reserves the right to vary the terms of the scheme at any time, and without notice, should it be necessary to do so.
Qualifying Business Types
To qualify for Hospitality Grant funding, businesses must operate in the following sectors:
- Independent cafés, wine bars and restaurants (not take-aways)
- Independent pubs/nightclubs and grassroots cultural venues (including performance and exhibition spaces)
- Community venues (for hire) such as a banqueting venue, church/community hall or sports club, who generate income via seasonal functions
To be eligible for a Hospitality Grant, applicants must:
- Be listed as one of our qualifying businesses above
- Be registered on Companies House or the Charity Register or with HMRC where self-employed
- Offer in-person services open to the public (under normal circumstances) where the main service and activity takes place in the fixed rate-paying premises
- Have a physical trading address in Islington (i.e. an operating or trading address in Islington from which the bulk of business’ activities take place) and pay a regular (monthly) business mortgage or rent
- Be the ratepayer, licensee, and/or have a legal agreement to occupy the property where applicable
- Be licensed by London Borough of Islington Council where applicable
- Have no unresolved enforcement action taken by Islington in the last 12 months
- Have been trading (open to customers) on or before 19th July 2021, when lockdown restrictions ended
A supporting statement will be required along with an application that describes trading, the impact of Covid19 on business and the preparations taken to restart the business.
Additionally businesses must not:
- Be in administration, insolvent or have a striking-off notice currently in action at the point of application, or when the grant is due to be paid
- Have reached the state aid limit. See subsidy allowance under Additional Criteria insert link
- Operate virtually or from residential premises (storage costs are ineligible)
Business can apply for this grant regardless of if they were in receipt of any of the following or not:
- A Local Restrictions Support Grant (LRSG)
- An Additional Restrictions Grant
- A Retail, Hospitality & Leisure Grant (RHLG), Small Business Grant (SBG) or Discretionary Grant Fund (DGF) payment from the first national lockdown in March 2020
- Arts Council Cultural Recovery Fund up to £200,000 in round 1 & 2 combined
- Self Employed Income Support
Information required to complete applications
- Before making your online application, please make sure you have the following information to hand where applicable:
- Certificate of company incorporation, charity registration number or UTRN
- Business Rates account number
- Premise Licence number from Islington council where applicable
- Reference of any previous Additional Restrictions Grant or Local Restrictions Grant Support
- Business trading bank statements for the required period – see documents required
- Evidence of the fixed ongoing building-related costs (for example, a full copy of signed lease, contract, licence or commercial mortgage
- Website address/social media account
- Your normal business opening times
The following documents are required to be uploaded as evidence to support your application
- Latest business rates statement if you are the rates payer
- Bank statements of your trading account, containing 1st June to 1st October, (MUST show name, address, account number, month balances and all transactions)
- Business premise lease (a full copy of signed lease, contract, licence or commercial mortgage)
- Certificate of Company Incorporation, Charities House or proof of HMRC registration (UTRN)
We will only assess complete applications first. Incomplete applications or applications that are missing evidence documents will cause delays in your assessment, which may result in your application being refused if funds are then exhausted.
Unfortunately, we will not be able to provide updates on the progress of your application. We know how important these grants are and are working as quickly as possible to distribute them.
Grants will be based on the rateable value of the commercial premises, as per the below, and as of 1st October 2021, with awards of:
|Rateable value||Amount of Award|
|£0 - £24,999||£5,000|
|£25,000 to £51,000
|£51,001 & over
Successful applicants will be asked to commit to supporting social value outcomes and to return monitoring information. You will be asked to make this commitment at application stage. This is to ensure businesses, who are able to, support initiatives that benefit the wider community. The council would not expect successful applicants to deliver these outcomes where it is unreasonable to do so (i.e. where you do not employ staff or are not relevant to your business).
- Commitment to fair treatment of performers such as Equity, Musicians Union, PRS or equivalent organisation
- Sign up to the Islington council and Mayor Women’s Night Safety Charter
- Commitment to sustain your cultural activity for the next 2 years
- Be members of their local Pub Watch Group where applicable
- An affiliated member of a relevant recognised cultural institution where applicable – Music Venue Trust, Society of London Theatre, British Comedy Society, Theatre Trust or equivalent
- Committed to supporting 100 Hours World of Work
- Where applicable will adopt the London Living Wage
- To support the Council’s employment initiatives to get people back in to work
- To participate in the Council’s evaluation requirements to monitor the impact of the scheme
You can see examples of Council employment initiatives here
Please read our Hospitality Grant Privacy Notice before submitting your application
You can view FAQ’s here. For anything else not covered in the FAQs, or issues with the form, please email HospitalityGrant@islington.gov.uk