If you are applying for British Citizenship using the online application form, we can send certified copies of your passport and supporting documents along with your application to UK Visas & Immigration.
If you are applying online for British citizenship, you can use our service and retain your passport and other documents while your application is being considered. You can also apply for your British passport at the same time.
If you want to use the paper application form and/or want to have your application form checked, please see our Nationality checking service page for more information.
Please note that this service is only available to applicants using the AN or MN1 application form, not applicants using Form T, UKF, UKM or any other nationality application form.
The Nationality document return service is unable to:
- Check that your application form is correctly completed. As your application form and nationality fee will have already been submitted online by the time that you attend our office, it will not be possible for any of the application information to be amended or corrected.
- Fast track your application through the Home Office
- Act as agents for the application
- Offer any advice on nationality, or advice on other matters such as visas, immigration or asylum
- Guarantee that your application will be successful. The Home Office will consider your application and make a decision.
- Check you have all the required documents. We will copy the documents you supply us with, but are unable to advise if these documents are suitable.
Joint Citizenship and Passport Service (JCAP)
It is now possible to apply for your British passport and British citizenship at the same time using the online citizenship application form. This easy and efficient service has been developed in partnership with the Home Office.
If your application for British citizenship is a success, your British passport will be posted to your home address approximately 3 weeks after you have attended your citizenship ceremony.
The joint service costs an additional £15.
All applicants aged 15 years and 6 months or over who wish to use this service must attend their appointment in person.
Please see our guidance on completing the passport form when using this service, as there are differences from the usual advice.
Note that the name on your passport application must match the name on your current travel documents and your citizenship application form, or it will not be able to be sent.
How much does it cost?
The fee for the Nationality document return service is:
- per nationality application: £50
- per passport application: £15
We will take these fees at the time of booking this appointment and this fee will be used when you attend the service. If you are more than ten minutes late, or you do not attend your appointment, you will not receive a refund of this fee.
How to apply
- Complete the relevant online form on GOV.UK
- Within 5 working days of submitting your application, attend an appointment at our office bringing with you:
- All original supporting documents (the documents you need are listed in the guidance notes for the application forms)
- Completed checklist for each applicant detailing documents you are sending
- Original referee pages with attached original passport sized photographs
If you do not want to send a joint passport application, all applicants over 18 years old must attend the office in person.
- If you want to send a joint passport application you will also need:
- two extra passport pictures (identical to the picture used in your nationality application
- completed paper passport application form (available from any Post Office)
- completed paper passport payment slip (this slip is inside the booklet that comes with the passport form)
- If you want to send a joint passport application, all applicants over 15 years and six months old must attend the office in person.
- We will copy your current passport and documents, certify the copies and send securely them to the Home Office on your behalf.
If your application exceeds 100g in weight, we will need to make an additional charge for postage and photocopying:
Up to 500g – £18.00 plus the NDRS and JCAP fee
Up to 1kg – £29.50 plus the NDRS and JCAP fee
Up to 2kg – £52.00 plus the NDRS and JCAP fee
Up to 10kg - £129.50 plus the NDRS and JCAP fee
Any application over 10kg will be subject to current postal fees.
Booking an appointment
This service is offered Monday to Friday between 9:00am and 12.00pm using an appointment system. You are encouraged to book an appointment in advance of your submission date to avoid disappointment.
Available appointments will be offered to you on a first come first served basis. Unfortunately, you will not be able to be seen until the next free appointment.
To book an appointment, please call 0207 527 6350, or email with your contact details and we will contact you within two working days to book the appointment and take a deposit.
If you have any further enquiries about our service email us.