Nationality checking service

We can check your application and certify your documents for you if you are applying for British citizenship. You can also apply for your British passport at the same time.

The service ensures that:

  • applications for British nationality are correctly completed in line with UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) guidelines
  • all supporting documentation to accompany each application is checked, copied and certified (completed applications are forwarded to The Home Office by registered post).

Having your application checked by one of our experienced team can help reduce delays caused by submitting incorrect documents to the Home Office. It also means you can keep all your original documents such as your passport.

We are unable to:

  • fast track your application through the Home Office
  • act as agents for the application
  • offer any advice on nationality, or advice on other matters such as visas, immigration or asylum
  • guarantee that your application will be successful. The Home Office will consider your application and make a decision.

EEA Nationals

All EEA nationals need to have held permanent residence for one year before applying for British citizenship. This means that all EEA nationals must have a permanent residence document issued by the Home Office. In addition to this, if you are not married to a British citizen, you must have held permanent residence status for at least one year.                                                          

EEA nationals will also need to provide further proof of residence such as P60s, pay slips, letters from employers or tax statements to prove they have been in the UK for the full qualifying period, as your passports are not stamped when you travel within Europe.

Joint Citizenship and Passport Service (JCAP)

It is now possible to apply for your British passport and British citizenship at the same time; this easy and efficient service has been developed in partnership with the Home Office.

If your application for British citizenship is a success, your British passport will be posted to your home address approximately 3 weeks after you have attended your citizenship ceremony.

The joint service costs an additional £15.  

All applicants aged 15 years and 6 months or over who wish to use this service must attend their appointment in person.

Please see our guidance on completing the passport form when using this service.

If you want to apply for your British passport at the same time as your citizenship, you MUST bring the completed passport application for with you to the appointment with your two extra identical passport pictures. If you do not bring the completed form and photographs, our officers will not be able to check the passport form and you will not be able to make a joint passport application.

How the service works

  1. Download the application forms from gov.uk

  2. Complete the application form using the guidance. 

  3. If you wish to apply for the British passport at the same time, you will need to also complete the British passport application form (available from any Post Office) and bring two extra identical passport pictures.

  4. Prepare all supporting documents required to accompany the application.

  5. Book an appointment for our nationality checking service. All applicants over the age of 18, who are named on the application form are required to attend the same appointment.

  6. Attend the appointment with all application and information requirements.

  7. We will send your application by secure courier to UKVI.

How much does it cost?

The fee for the checking service is:

  • per adult application: £60 (Saturdays £75)
  • per child application: £35 (Saturdays £40)

If you wish to apply for your British passport at the same time it will cost an additional £15. 

Full payment needs to be made at the time the appointment is booked.

Please see our full terms and conditions of booking.

Was this information helpful?
  1. Please select

  2. Data protection: We will handle your personal information in line with the Data Protection Act 1998 and in accordance with the council’s Fair Processing Notice.