If you are applying to the EU Settlement Scheme, instead of sending your document off you can book an appointment to bring your ID document to us, where it can be scanned and verified for you. Alternatively, if you have an Android phone you can also verify your identity through the EU Exit: ID Document Check app.
This service replaces the European passport return service, which formerly enabled EEA applicants applying for Permanent Residence or Qualified Person status to keep hold of their passports while their application was being considered. UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) have now withdrawn this service.
To find out more about the EU Settlement Scheme and local support available visit our Brexit support pages.
Who can use the service?
- Resident EU, European Economic Area (EEA) or Swiss citizens (but not a British citizen) with a valid biometric EU passport
- Non-EU citizen family members of an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen with a biometric residence card
British citizens cannot apply. Irish citizens do not need to apply but may do so if they wish.
Please note that if you have already submitted your application for pre-settled or settled status then you are required to post your ID document to the UKVI even if you attend the local authority EU Settlement Service. If you have attempted self-service and submitted your application without completing the ID verification process then please contact the UKVI.
When is the service available?
This service is appointment only and must be booked in advanced. Appointments will be available from Monday 29 April, Monday-Friday between 9am and 4pm.
Where is the service available?
The appointments take place at:
Islington Town Hall
- Free for Islington and City of London residents
- Free for Islington Council and City of London council employees
- £14.00 (including VAT) per person for non-residents of Islington and the City of London
Please note: City of London refers to the area in London known as ‘the Square Mile’ and not London as an entire city, please view a map to check if you are unsure if you live within the City of London.
During the appointment you will need to:
- provide verification of identity. This document will be electronically scanned and verified for you
- provide a valid mobile telephone number. You will be sent a pin number by text during your appointment – you will need this to be able to proceed with your appointment
- provide a valid email address. Once submitted, an email with instructions on how to complete your application will be sent to the email address you provide. You'll then complete your application yourself at a later time in line with the guidance provided on the email from UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI).
Please bring to your appointment:
- EU citizens - a valid biometric passport. The scan will confirm your identity so that you'll be able to make an application for settled status. We don't keep your ID document and in most cases you'll not be asked to send your passport anywhere else during the application
- non-EU citizen family member - please see the settlement scheme eligibility requirements to see which ID document you need to provide.
Who needs to attend the appointment?
- All applicants (including children of any age) need to attend the appointment in person. Each person applying needs to book a separate appointment slot.
- If you are an Islington or City of London council employee applying with your family, please book appointments for all family members on the same day so they can also use the service free of charge.