Registrars documents

Advice for EU citizens

There are over 30,000 European Union (EU) citizens living in Islington and they play a valuable role in our community. Islington Council is doing what it can to support residents who may be affected by the UK’s exit from the EU so they can continue to live and work here.

Applying to stay in the UK or applying for settled status

If you are an EU, European Economic Area (EEA) or Swiss citizen you will need to apply for settled status to be able to continue living and working here at the end of the transition period. You can do this through the government’s EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS). You must apply by 30 June 2021.

If you are a family member whose status in the UK is reliant on the free movement rights of an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, you will also need to apply.

You don’t need to apply if you have indefinite leave to enter or remain in the UK or if you have British or Irish citizenship (including dual citizenship).

Apply via GOV.UK

What is settled status? How do you qualify?

If you are granted settled or pre-settled status you will be able to stay in the UK and live your life as you do now. The government has said that you will have the same access to benefits, public services and healthcare.

You may qualify for settled status (indefinite leave to remain) if you have lived in the UK for five years. If you have lived in the UK for less than five years you may qualify for pre-settled status (limited leave to remain).

Advice and help with applying

Free advice event - 24 May 2021

If you need advice on applying for settled status or would like to understand how Brexit will affect your rights to live and work in the UK, please join the free advice session being run by Islington in Europe on Monday 24 May, 6.30-8.30pmThere will be specialist immigration lawyers on hand to offer advice and answer your questions.  Places are limited so please register through Eventbrite

Identity (ID) verification

If you have an Android or iPhone 7 or newer device, you can verify your identity through the EU Exit: ID Document Check app. If you are unable to use the app you can send your documents by post. Unfortunately, we have had to temporarily suspend our  the identify verification service in response to coronavirus. 

Computer access or help to get online

You can visit Islington’s libraries where there is free wi-fi access. Library staff are on hand to offer help to get online or use online services – you can book an advice session with a member of staff if needed. Please note. Islington libraries are running a reduced service at the moment to stop the spread of coronavirus, find out more about changes to services.

Assisted Digital support is available over the phone, at a local centre or in your home if you do not have the appropriate access, skills or confidence to complete the form. Find out more about Assisted Digital support via GOV.UK.

Help with the application

There are local organisations that offer free, independent advice to residents applying for the scheme, particularly those who are vulnerable or need additional support:

Specialist legal advice

If you need specialist legal advice if you are unsure if you qualify or need advice about your immigration options you can contact an immigration adviser through Here for good law or search for a local immigration adviser by postcode through GOV.UK

Was this information helpful?
  1. Please select

  2. Data protection: We will handle your personal information in line with the Data Protection Act 1998 and in accordance with the council’s Fair Processing Notice.