Coins icon

Support with Universal Credit

There are many ways to receive help with your Universal Credit payments

Support with Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a big change from any benefits or tax credits you may get now, and you need to be ready to manage your claim differently.

If you claim benefits and your circumstances are likely to change soon – if you are planning to have a child, or to move, or to take a job – please contact the Universal Credit helpline: 0800 328 5644 open Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm.

Universal Credit Support Team

Islington Council has created a new drop-in service which helps residents on universal credit manage their income and pay their rent on time. This new service is provided by the ‘Universal Credit Support Team’ which is located at the council’s Customer Centre on 222 Upper Street. Residents can drop-in for support 9-5pm, Monday to Friday, and should ask for the Universal Credit Support Team at the reception desk. The team is able to: 

  • advise on how much rent is due and when it needs to be paid
  • negotiate rent payments and deadlines with landlords
  • provide advice on managing a tight budget
  • ensure that residents have all the benefits they’re entitled to
  • help manage any other debts  
  • find any additional support that is needed

Help with new applications for Universal Credit will continue to be provided by Citizens Advice by advisors at Barnsbury or Finsbury Park Job Centres.”

For help completing your application visit our two job centres in the borough:

You can also get help from Citizens Advice via their website, by calling 0800 144 8444 or speaking to one of their local advisers based at either job centre.

If you are worried about paying your rent or support with your living costs visit our money advice pages or free independent advice organisations.

If you are facing extreme hardship the Resident Support Scheme may be able to help you.

People who are reaching pension age

If you are reaching state pension age you will no longer qualify for Universal Credit. You will need to make a new claim for Housing Benefit from the date that you reach state pension age. You will need to complete a claim form for Housing Benefit and send it to our benefits service as soon as possible.

Mixed age couples

From 15 May 2019, couples where one member of the couple is pension credit qualifying age and the other member is under pension age (they are working age) will now usually need to claim Universal Credit. Those already in receipt of Pension Credit or Housing Benefit on 14 May 2019 will remain entitled to those benefits.

You can still claim backdated Housing Benefit on or after 15 May 2019 if you are already pension age before this date. You must make your claim by 13 August 2019. Your claim date will be automatically backdated to a date before the change in rules.

      Was this information helpful?
      1. Please select

      2. Data protection: We will handle your personal information in line with the Data Protection Act 1998 and in accordance with the council’s Fair Processing Notice.