To support voluntary and community organisations operating in Islington the council offers a range of funding opportunities.
Small Grants Programmes:
- Islington Council’s Community Chest programme supports local organisations with an income of less than £100,000 with a small one-off grant.
- Islington Council’s Local Initiatives Fund supports small initiatives and projects delivered in specific wards in the borough.
The Community Festivals Fund - run by the council's Arts Service - supports the delivery of cultural festivals or events that bring communities together to promote equality, community cohesion and making an area a better place to live.
VCS Partnership Grants Programme:
The council's VCS Partnership Grants Programme provides core funding to local charities and community groups. The Grants Programme is divided into five strands:
Delivery Partners Grants Programme
Strategic Partners - Borough-wide Grants Programme
Strategic Partners - Neighbourhoods Grants Programme
Strategic Partners - Volunteering Grants Programme
Strategic Partners - Advice Grants Programme
Funding for Sports Clubs:
Islington based sports clubs and community organisations can apply for small-grants to help them provide activities that promote healthy living through participating in sporting activities and small grants to talented athletes that compete on a regional or national level. To find out more click here.
Discretionary Rate Relief:
All registered charities based in Islington can receive mandatory rate relief which covers 80% of their business rates. The council also can provide financial discretionary rate relief for locally focussed voluntary and community sector organisations to either cover the remaining 20% or all of their rates if they don’t qualify for mandatory rate relief. For more information click here.
Commissioning and Procurement:
The council recognises that the voluntary and community sector has a vital role in successful commissioning. Commissioning and procurement is more than just the buying of services; it is about ensuring that we have an understanding of the needs of local people, particularly those who are marginalised. Voluntary organisations help give these people a voice, enabling the council to design services that genuinely help improve the lives of residents.