Advice and support icon

Resident Support Scheme

If you are facing extreme hardship, read more about how this scheme may be able to help you.

This is a fund that can help if you are facing extreme hardship, but it does not come in the form of cash payments.

You should think about applying for Budgeting Loans, Budgeting Advances, Short-term Advances and Hardship Payments before you make an application to the RSS.

If you can’t get any other help, the scheme can ensure you are able to keep your home, health, family and security.

For example, if you are on a low income, a grant can help you buy essential household items, or pay your rent if there is a cut to Housing Benefit. If you’ve experienced a crisis or disaster, it could help you with living expenses.

The scheme can also refer you to organisations and departments who can help with:

  • money and income: everyone applying can get a benefits check if required. You can also get money advice and specialist help with energy bill debts.
  • employment and training: if you need it you will be offered, for example, advice on courses, volunteering opportunities, and how to prepare your CV.
  • social well-being: again, if you need it, we can give support if you feel isolated socially, help you get involved in your community and build your skills.

How to apply

If you have a social worker or support worker, or you are a tenant of Peabody, Hyde, Circle or Partners for Improvement and need help to remain in your tenancy, you can apply through them for help from:

  • Children’s Services
  • Adult Social Services or Housing Services
  • Age UK
  • Single Homeless Project
  • Solace Women's Aid
  • Cranstoun Drug Services
  • Centre 404

You can also visit Contact Islington at 222 Upper Street, N1 1XR. If you are housebound someone from our RSS Visiting Team can visit your home to make an application. Call 020 527 2000 to arrange a visit.

If you're helped by one of these organisations they can make a referral to the RSS for you:

  • Citizens Advice Bureau
  • Islington Law Centre
  • Islington People's Rights
  • Disability Action in Islington


Arab Alliance Bureau
London & Quadrant Housing Association
Look Ahead Housing Association
Barnsbury Housing Association The Manna - St Stephens
Broadway Mind
CASA Blenheim Mind Yourself 
City YMCA Newlon Housing Trust
Crown Housing Association
Notting Hill Housing Association
The Elfrida Society
One Housing and One Support
Family Mosaic
Penrose Options
Finance and Resources - iWork (LBI)
Peter Bedford Housing Association
Finance and Resources - MDT (LBI)
Pillion Trust
Finsbury Park Homeless FP
Sapphire Independent Housing
Guinness Trust
Health Advocacy Project
SSAF (Soldiers, Sailors, Air Force & Army)
Help on Your Doorstep
St Giles Trust
St Luke's Community Centre
St Mungo's
Irish Centre Housing
Stonewall Housing
Islington and Shoreditch Housing Association
The Parent House
Islington Community Alcohol Service
Toynbee Hall
Islington Carers Hub
Twinning Enterprises
Islington Foodbank  Victim Support
London Irish Centre Voiceability

Young care leaver exemption

Local authority care leavers don't pay Council Tax in Islington until they are 25. Read more on our young care leaver exemption page.

Recommender and referral declaration form

Agencies can complete the form below for use in the RSS referral process.

Newlon Housing Trust
The Manna - St Stephens
Was this information helpful?
  1. Please select

  2. Data protection: We will handle your personal information in line with the Data Protection Act 1998 and in accordance with the council’s Fair Processing Notice.