Advice and support icon

How to claim

You should claim as soon as possible because you may lose benefit if you delay. Click on the link to download a Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support form (PDF).

If you claim Pension Credits

The Pensions Service may give you a form for you to claim housing benefit. Fill in the form and send it back to us straight away by post or in person at an area housing office so that we can work out your benefit. We will contact you to ask you whether you want to apply for Council Tax Support.

If you claim Employment and Support Allowance, Income Support, Jobseekers Allowance or Incapacity Benefit

You will be asked about housing benefit when you make your telephone claim with the Jobcentre Plus office. They will also ask you to supply evidence in support of that claim that may be used for your housing benefit claim. We will only receive the details of your claim when you have provided evidence to Jobcentre Plus. We will contact you to ask you whether you want to apply for Council Tax Support.

If you do not pay rent for your home you will have to contact us direct to make a claim for Council Tax Support.

If you do not receive any of these benefits

Email us. Send us an email to tell us you want to claim. You need to tell us your name, address and telephone contact details. We will either telephone you or send you an application form and tell you if you need to provide further details. Email

Visit us:

Islington Customer Centre
222 Upper Street
London, N1 1XR
Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm

Home Visit - If your circumstances mean you are unable to visit us to make a claim or give us details, we may be able to visit you at your home. To ask for a visit please telephone us on 020 7527 4990 or email . Please include your contact details and a brief message.

Proof you need to give us 

  • proof of identity for you and your partner
  • National Insurance number for you and your partner
  • proof of income for all people living in your home
  • proof of rent

If you do not receive income support, pension credit or income-based job seekers allowance you will also need to give us

  • proof of capital, savings and investments

What happens next?

When we receive your claim we may ask you for more information. You should give us this information within one month of the date on the letter we send you asking for it.

We will usually tell you how much benefit you will get within 14 days of receiving all the information from you. This letter is called a decision notification letter. This letter will tell you how we have worked out your benefit. You should read this letter carefully to make sure your benefit is correct.

Was this information helpful?
  1. Please select

  2. Data protection: We will handle your personal information in line with the Data Protection Act 1998 and in accordance with the council’s Fair Processing Notice.