Advice and support icon

Disagreeing with our decision

For every decision that we make on your claim for housing benefit we will send you a decision letter. The letter shows the information we have used to work out your benefit and you should check it carefully.

For every decision that we make about your application for council tax support you will receive a new council tax bill which will show how much support you will receive.

How to disagree with our decision

You can:

You must write to us within one month of the date of the decision letter.

An appeal must be signed by you. You must say which decision you are appealing against, and the reasons why you are appealing.

If you appeal against the decision, an independent appeal tribunal will hear your appeal.

How can I find out more?

For more information visit:

Tribunal Service
Local Government Ombudsman
Citizens Advice

Was this information helpful?
  1. Please select

  2. Data protection: We will handle your personal information in line with the Data Protection Act 1998 and in accordance with the council’s Fair Processing Notice.