Advice and support icon

Universal Credit

In November 2015, the government began introducing the Universal Credit - a new means tested benefit - in Islington.

Universal Credit willultimatelyreplace:

  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Income Support
  • Child Tax Credits
  • Working Tax Credits
  • Housing Benefit

New and existing claims for these benefits willgradually be phased out asUniversal Credit is introduced. The government's timetable is not clear.From the 9 November 2015 it will start with new single out of work claimants that meet certain entitlement criteria.The process of transferring people to Universal Credit is expected to take at leastuntil 2017.

Once Universal Credit is introduced in Islington,ifyou already claim any of the affectedbenefits and you have a change in your circumstances, such as a partner leaving your household, you may be required to claim Universal Credit at that point and your money may go up or down.

If you already claim any of these benefits and your circumstances do not change, you will be transferred to Universal Credit without making a separate claim. The government has said that you will not lose money at the point you are transferred to Universal Credit, instead, you will continue to get your old rate of benefit. If your circumstances change, that protection may end.

What do we know so far about how Universal Credit will work?

Universal Credit will be paid monthly into your bank account. Money for your rent (what would have been your housing benefit) will be paid straight to you, it will not go to your landlord.

Most people will be expected to manage their Universal Credit claim through an online account.

Where can you get more information?

These pages will be updated as new information becomes available, but if you want to know more about Universal Credit, go to the Department of Work and Pensions Universal Credit web pages.

To find out what you can do to get prepared for Universal Credit, go to the Money Advice Service web pages. ​

In addition further information can be found at the Citizen's Advice Universal Credit webpage.

Was this information helpful?
  1. Please select

  2. Data protection: We will handle your personal information in line with the Data Protection Act 1998 and in accordance with the council’s Fair Processing Notice.