Advice and support icon

Housing benefit restrictions for single people under 35

If you are single, under the age of 35 and rent from a private landlord, you will normally only be entitled to enough Housing Benefit to cover the average cost of a single room in a shared house in your area. This is the case even if you have a place of your own. This rule is often known as the 'single room rent restriction'.

This means that the maximum Housing Benefit you may be entitled tois the rate to cover a single room in a shared house or flat. This means that the most you will be likely to receive in Housing Benefit payments will be £100 per week, unless you are exempt from the changes.

Who will this change affect?

These changes will affect you if you:

  • rent accommodation from a private landlord
  • already get Housing Benefit, or are going to make a new claim
  • are single
  • do not normally have children living with you
  • are under 35 years old
  • live in a self contained property

These changes will not affect you if you:

  • rent from a local authority or housing association
  • are aged under 22 and have been in care
  • live in supported housing provided by a housing association, registered charity, voluntary organisation or a county council (in England)
  • get the severe disability premium in your benefit because you are entitled to the middle or higher rate care component of Disability Living Allowance
  • need an extra bedroom for a carer who provides you with the overnight care you need but who does not normally live with you
  • have spent at least three months in a
    • homeless hostel or
    • hostel specialising in rehabilitating and resettling within the community. To benefit from this exemption you need to have been offered and accepted support services to enable you to be rehabilitated or resettled in the community
  • are managed under active multi-agency management under the Multi Agency Public Protection Arrangements
Was this information helpful?
  1. Please select

  2. Data protection: We will handle your personal information in line with the Data Protection Act 1998 and in accordance with the council’s Fair Processing Notice.