Advice and support icon

Information for Private Landlords

Since 1 April 2011 the Housing Benefit system has changed. If you rent a property to a private tenant, the amount of Housing Benefit that they can claim may go down.

What are the changes?

Since April 2011 there have been caps on Local Housing Allowance (LHA), which is used to work out how much benefit a tenant can get.

For existing claimants, the amount they get may change when we review their claim after April 2011 – but they could get further protection for up to nine months, as long as their circumstances don't change.

For more information visit our Housing and Council Taxadvice pages.

From April we may have more discretion to pay Housing Benefit directly to you, as the landlord, if you agree to reduce the rent on your property to make it more affordable for the tenant.

Your tenants may also be able to apply for a discretionary housing payment to help meet their rental obligations.

What do I need to do?

Contact us on 020 7527 4990 if you think you may be able to reduce the rent on your property and would like to apply to have your tenant’s Housing Benefit paid directly to you.

Private sector opportunities

For information about renting your property through us, get an empty property back into use, licence houses in multiple occupation (HMOs), visit the Landlords section of our website.

Further information and advice

National Landlords Association,, Tel: 0207 840 8900

Southern Landlords Association,, Tel: 0845 4753583

Was this information helpful?
  1. Please select

  2. Data protection: We will handle your personal information in line with the Data Protection Act 1998 and in accordance with the council’s Fair Processing Notice.