Advice and support icon

DLA replaced by Personal Independence Payment

The government is abolishing Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for people aged between 16 and 64. From June 2013, disabled adults will not be able to make a new claim for DLA, instead, they will have to claim a new benefit called the Personal Independence Payment (PIP).

Between October 2013 and 2017, the nearly 8,000 disabled adults in Islington who already get DLA will be told that their award will end and they will be invited to claim PIP.

As PIP is a new benefit with new rules, everyone will have to fill in a claim form and most will have to have a medical examination. Not everyone who currently gets DLA is expected to qualify for PIP, soget advice when you are required to make your PIP claim. You could lose money.

When will I have to claim for PIP?

  • From June 2013 all new claims will be for PIP if you are between 16 and 64

  • If you have a change of circumstances, or you reach the end of your current DLA award, or if your child is turning 16 you may beinvited toclaim PIP and your money could go up or down. It is important that you get advice.

  • From October 2015 all remaining DLA claimants will be told the date their DLA award will end and be asked to make a claim for PIP.

  • The government has more information about PIP at

Where can I get advice?

If you want advice or assistance with new or current claims for DLA or with claims for PIP, you can contact the council on:

You can also contact us for advice about making a change to your circumstances. We also provide advice and support about benefits changes and other issues, such as housing, debt, employment and training.

If you would prefer to speak to a voluntary organisation you can contact the Islington Advice Line for free and confidential advice on welfare reform and debt, call 03444 889 626or

The advice line has advice and support provided by Islington's Citizen Advice Bureau, Islington Law Centre, Islington People's rights and Disability Action in Islington.

How will PIP effect my entitlement to Housing Benefitor Council Tax Support?

As with DLA, PIP will be fully disregarded as income for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support. This means that the income you receive from PIP will not be included when working out how much your income is.

As with DLA, any component or rate of PIP for a claimant or partner means there will be no non-dependent deductions for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support.

As with DLA, disability premiums may be awarded for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support for customers in receipt of PIP.

Was this information helpful?
  1. Please select

  2. Data protection: We will handle your personal information in line with the Data Protection Act 1998 and in accordance with the council’s Fair Processing Notice.