Sign In

Street Trading Licences

Street licence conditions

There are two types of street trading licences available: full licences and casual licences. The type of licence you need depends on where and or when you want to trade.

You can download our leaflet explaining the licence conditions that apply to street traders in Islington from the bottom of this page. 

Full licences

Full licences are paid for on a weekly basis and entitle use of a particular pitch throughout that week. Procedures for obtaining a full licence are as follows:

  • you must complete an application form
  • at the time of application you must provide four full-face passport-sized photographs of yourself. These must have been taken within the last 12 months, and must be signed on the reverse
  • you will also be asked to provide the following 3 documents:
    • proof of public liability insurance
    • proof of identity (passport or driving licence)
    • proof of address (bank statement or utility bill)
  • you will be asked to pay an administration fee
  • a temporary licence will then be issued to you, along with a stall card

NB: temporary licences are not issued in the Arsenal area.
For the first six months that you hold the licence you will be on a probationary period. After six months, if you have traded satisfactorily and all your payments have been up to date, a full licence will be granted.

You will subsequently be issued with a new licence, which entitles you to trade up to a maximum of three years. Traders are asked to make all fee-payments by standing order (through a bank or building society).


Will tacit consent apply?

No, it is in the public interest that the council must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please get in touch. If you have applied in writing or need to contact the council via another method please use the “contact us” details on this page. 


Failed application redress

Please contact Islington Council in the first instance.
Any person who is refused a licence can appeal to the Magistrates court.

Licence holder redress 

Please contact Islington Council in the first instance. 
Any licence holder who objects to a condition attached to a licence may appeal to the Magistrates court. 

Consumer complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice consumer service will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre


Casual Licences

 Casual licences are paid for on a daily basis by purchasing street trading vouchers, which must be bought in advance. Separate vouchers must be purchased for trading in each of the three main markets in Islington. Procedures for obtaining a casual licence are similar to that for obtaining a full licence with following differences:

  • you purchase vouchers to trade
  • each voucher entitles you to trade for one day and must be handed to the market inspector on the actual day of trading
  • you must buy vouchers in advance. If you do not have a voucher, you will not be allowed to trade
  • as a casual licence holder you are not entitled to the use of a specific pitch. Instead, any vacant pitches that are available will be allocated by the market inspectors. As pitch sizes vary, you are advised to make sure your stall is no larger than the smallest pitch size: 2.44 x 0.91m (8' x 3')

NB: it is not possible to buy casual licences for scattered site pitches or in the Arsenal area.


Street Trading Service
Public Protection Division Islington Council, 222 Upper Street London N1 1XR
Tel: 020 7527 3830 Fax: 020 7527 3165

If you are visiting our offices please call ahead first, to help us ensure that someone will be available to assist you.


 Related documents